I hope you’re all having a great week!
I’ve been in a bit of a reading slump, but I think I’m finally getting out of it. I’m almost done with my second book of Fairytaleathon and I’m absolutely loving it!
Ah, can you believe we’re almost at the then of the #SBPT? I can’t get over how fast these two months have gone and I’ve loved connecting with Amanda! I hope you all have enjoyed this mini-series as well!
Today, Amanda (check out her post here!) and I wanted to talk about book to film adaptations! Now for this post, I only wanted to talk about adaptations where I’ve read the book AND have seen the movie, so sorry To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before, you sadly won’t be on this list (I still need to read the book 😅)
- Love, Simon – I absolutely loved this movie so much. I thought it captured the spirit of the book and improved upon it. While it wasn’t a perfect adaptation and left out some pretty crucial things, I still thought it was a solid adaptation.
- Harry Potter – I could go on for hours about things I wished made it into the Harry Potter movies, but this was the first book to movie adaptation I watched when I had just read the book in preparation for the movie. Missing details and inaccuracies aside, I still love this adaptation.
- Misery – It’s been a while since I saw the movie or read the book, but I still remember this being an amazing adaptation. Between the actors, direction, cinematography, and script, this movie captures the book perfectly! It’s one I’m actually hoping to reread this fall!
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – This is a movie I didn’t like at first, but by the end, I was hooked. I last read this book in high school, but I remember the movie capturing the spirit of the book and giving us an enjoyable ride.
- The Outsiders – I still love this book so much and I think the movie perfectly captured the spirit of the book. The casting in this movie is near perfect. Honestly, this will probably remain in my top 5 adaptation list until the end of time.
- Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief – I think this is my least favorite adaptation to date. I saw the movie before I read the books and thought it was a cheap rip off of Clash of the Titans and was even more annoyed after I read the book. This is a series I think Netflix needs to turn into a mini-series. I’d love all the Rick Riordan Percyverse books as a 5 season 8ish episode mini-series! But the movie we actually got was just garbage. Sea of Monsters wasn’t much better. (I’ve ranted about this one in a previous post, if you’re interested you can read more here.)
- Eragon – This is another adaptation that was disappointing and awful. My sister and I were obsessed with the Eragon books and were so irritated with this adaptation. This is another one we really need to have redone. Like put some money towards this one and get some practical effect SFX artists and get us the epic fantasy movie we deserve.
- The Golden Compass – When I saw this movie, I didn’t know it was based on a book with a pretty potent message. As I got older, I realized how much the original message was ripped away from the movie. This one had so much potential and needs to be given a remake.
- The Da Vinci Code – This could have been any movie based off a Dan Brown book. I don’t get it; the entire movie is clearly adapted from the book…until the ending. The movies always veer off into a vastly different direction and it usually weakens the overall plot.
- Alice in Wonderland (2010) – This movie is my personal nemesis. I LOVE Alice in Wonderland and was so excited to see Tim Burton’s take on it…until I actually saw the movie. The older I get, the less I like this movie. Now, I know it’s easy to say that it’s not a true adaptation, rather a retelling or reimagining, but it has the same name so I’m counting it.
What is your favorite and least favorite adaptation?
Do you agree or disagree with my list?
Be sure to let me know below!