This must just be the months for read-a-thons, huh? I saw Julie’s video about the Read-A-Thin and it seems right up my ally. This is a month long read-a-thon that has 18 challenges. The goal is to complete 6 of the challenges, but you can use one book on multiple challenges.
This read-a-thon was created by Jessica from JessicaMarie493, Chelsea from AVeryBookishGirl and Amanda from ACourtofBooksandLove have all teamed up together to bring us this read-a-thon!
Now! First thing first. The name. The creators decided on the name Read-a-thin. It started out as a joke (because everyone misspells read-a-thon) but it just stuck with us so we went with it! As you can probably guess by the name (or not), this readathon is going to be focused on “thinning out” your TBR.
Let’s lay down some ground rules. This is a laid back readathon and none of these are necessary but they are guidelines and things to help you choose what to read. The goal here is to read books on your TBR shelves. That’s really it.
Here are the “rules”:
- You will have the entire month to read these books.
- All the books must be books you owned/ordered prior to us announcing the challenges (announcements for future read-a-thins will be made at random).
- The goal is to complete 6 challenges (I know, that seems like a lot but hold that thought)
- You can double up on challenges. In other words, you can use one book for two different challenges
There are 18 different challenges but you only have to complete 6 with at least 3 books.
There will be a Google Doc on the Twitter account and they will be listed on our GoodReads group.
Here they are:
- Read a 2017 release
- Read a book that is the same color (or a similar color) as your birthstone
- Read a diverse book
- Read a book with a title or author with the same first letter as the first letter in your first name (the words “a” and “the” don’t count)
- Read a book that is related to your favorite emoji
- Read a book starting with a letter from TBR (the word “the” doesn’t count)
- Read a book with a summer themed cover
- Read a book with a warm colored cover (orange, red, yellow, brown)
- Start and finish a series
- Read a book in 24 hours
- Read a new to you author
- Book with water on the cover
- Read a book set in summer
- Buddy read a book
- Read a book recommended to you by someone in the book community
- Read a guilty pleasure read
- Read an adult/new adult book
- Read a book outside of your favorite genre
Social Media for the Read-a-Thin:
Use #ReadathinAug17 to stay connected on Twitter and Instagram
Blog (linked up above)
Blog (linked up above)
Blog (linked up above)
Okay now the part you’ve all been waiting for:
So I’m working my August TBR into this challenge because I don’t completely hate myself. I did add Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom to the list because they fulfill a challenge none of the other books were able to.
Here’s how each book pairs up with the challenges:
- Read a 2017 release: Most of these books are 2017 releases.
- Read a book that is the same color (or a similar color) as your birthstone: I’m a September baby and my birthstone is a saphire. I’m going to pick Geminia for this one.
- Read a diverse book: Easily going to pick the Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue for this one, although Mask of Shadows would work too.
- Read a book with a title or author with the same first letter as the first letter in your first name (the words “a” and “the” don’t count): Revenants: The Odyssey Home (Rebecca) or Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding by Alexandra Bracken (Becky)
- Read a book that is related to your favorite emoji: My favorite emoji is 😂 which I think will represent The Gentle Man’s Guide to Vice and Virtue.
- Read a book starting with a letter from TBR (the word “the” doesn’t count): Revenants: The Odyssey Home.
- Read a book with a summer themed cover: Gentleman’s Guide kind of does….right? Yeah that’s kind of a strech.
- Read a book with a warm colored cover (orange, red, yellow, brown): Illuminae or Revenants: The Odyssey Home.
- Start and finish a series: Six of Crows Duology. I still haven’t read these books and it’s a duology so it might actually be doable.
- Read a book in 24 hours: Um I think I can read Dreadful Tale of Prosper Redding or The Lost Soul in a day.
- Read a new to you author: All of these authors are new to me authors.
- Book with water on the cover: Across the Darkling Sea — the boat is on water.
- Read a book set in summer: Pretty sure Gentle Man’s guide is along with Daughter of the Burning City.
- Buddy read a book: Don’t actually know about this one. If you want to buddy read with me, let me know! Also my FairyLoot buddy, let me know if you want to read the book together!
- Read a book recommended to you by someone in the book community: Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue and The Last Magician have both been recommended to me by BookTube and Bookstagram.
- Read a guilty pleasure read: I really don’t have any guilty pleasure reads right now. Who know, I might find one throughout the month.
- Read an adult/new adult book: Revenants is an adult Historical Fiction book.
- Read a book outside of your favorite genre: Still Revenants for this one. Everything else on my list is fantasy or sci-fi (aka my faves).
Revenants: The Odyssey Home — Completes Six Challenges
Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue — Completes Seven Challenges (well six and a half because of that summer cover one…)
Illuminae — Completes Two Challenges
Gemina — Completes Two Challenges
The Dreadful Tale of Propser Redding — Completes Four Challenges
The Lost Soul — Completes Three Challenges
Daughter of the Burning City– Completes Three Challenges
The Last Magician — Completes Three Challenges (Four if I end up reading it for Purusetopia book club as it is the pick of the month)
Mask of Shadows — Completes Three Challenges
Across the Darkling Sea — Completes Three Challenges
Halayda — Completes Two Challenges (Three if I can read it in less than 24 hours)
Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom — Completes Two Challenges
One thought on “Read-a-thin TBR!”